2020 Directing Apprenticeships
Bard on the Beach Shakespeare Festival, Vancouver, BC
Professional theatre directors will have the opportunity to participate in a unique training opportunity at Vancouver’s premier Shakespeare festival. Apprentice Directors will receive training and mentoring from senior members of the company while supporting the creation of one of Bard’s 2020 productions. We welcome and encourage submissions from artists from diverse backgrounds.
Opportunities in the Bard 2020 Season:
A Midsummer Night’s Dream
Directed by Scott Bellis
April 20 to June 21, 2020
Directed by Lois Anderson
April 13 to June 17, 2020
Love’s Labour’s Lost
Directed by Daryl Cloran
Howard Family Stage
May 9 to July 14, 2020
Paradise Lost by Erin Shields
Directed by Anita Rochon
Howard Family Stage
May 4 to July 10, 2020
Apprentice Directors will:
- Attend design and production meetings as available
- Participate in a pre-rehearsal training intensive April 7, 8, 9. Additional honorarium provided for attending.
- Attend rehearsals, technical rehearsals, previews and opening night for one of Bard’s 2020 season productions
- Support the Director of the production as needed
- Receive mentorship from senior members of the Bard company
- Receive an honorarium of $2500
- Bard will provide one return trip if you are not locally based. There are no additional funds for accommodation. Candidates should have completed post-secondary training/education and have experience in the professional theatre.
Applications must include:
• A video statement of no more than 1 minute in length. Please introduce yourself and tell us why this opportunity is right for you and why now
• In 250 to 350 words please tell us about your interest in and experience with Shakespeare
• Your professional resumé (including education and/or training)
• Names and contact information for two professional references.
(Letters of recommendation are not requested)
Apply here by November 1, 2019.