Bard in the Classroom
Bring Shakespeare’s words alive and into the lives of your students! Students will explore Shakespeare as actors do with the guidance of our professional Teaching Artists. Virtual options also available!
Through playful exploration, students experience Shakespeare’s language and discover how it resonates for them. We’ll work with you to tailor your workshop to your students and your circumstances.
“This program is an absolute must! I saw children come out of their shells and excel in ways I never dreamed possible. The instructor was so skilled in both motivating and guiding the children through this amazing opportunity.” Teacher, Brooksbank Elementary
About our classroom workshops
What: A workshop can focus on a specific play, or it can be structured as a general introduction to Shakespeare’s language and imagery.
Where: At your school, in a classroom or theatre. See Bard in the Virtual Classroom for live, online options!
If you are based outside the Lower Mainland, we may be able to travel to you. If you prefer to travel to us, we may be able to host your workshop at the BMO Theatre Centre in Vancouver (subject to availability, please inquire).
When: Workshops are available year-round. Please submit your request at least 6 weeks in advance of the date you’d like to host the workshop.
Length: Up to 90 minutes long. We’ll adjust the length to fit your school’s bell schedule.
Cost: NEW REDUCED FEE of $125 (tax included). This new fee is made possible with the support of our generous funders, with the goal of making workshops more accessible during these challenging economic times.
Please note: Schools and community organizations can apply for financial assistance through the Bard Education Bursary Fund. Established in 2009 by the Bard Volunteers, the fund helps make our programs accessible to all.
Travel fees: Will be calculated based on actual travel expenses. In many cases, the Bard Education Bursary Fund can subsidise travel fees. Please inquire.
How does Bard in the Classroom connect to the BC Curriculum? Click here to read about how Bard Education’s programming can enhance your students’ learning within BC’s curriculum.
Request a Workshop
- Fill out the form below to request a session. Please submit this form at least 6 weeks before your preferred session date.
- We’ll email you to confirm whether we can meet your request.
- Watch A Shakesperience with your class and explore its ideas with our companion curriculum. This new and unconventional introduction to Shakespeare will help your students find resonance in Shakespeare’s words and imagery – and it’s FREE!
- A Teaching Artist will come to your school on the scheduled date to run your workshop.
FREE Supplementary Resources
- A Shakesperience and its companion curriculum are available here.
- More resources are available through our Discovery Zone.
For more information, please contact Melanie Hiepler, Education Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bard in the Classroom is generously supported by