Volunteers are an integral part of our organization and play an important role in the success of our season. From June through September, our team of 200+ dedicated volunteers serve as ambassadors for the festival by providing a high level of hospitality and a friendly, welcoming face to our patrons. Volunteers work in the Front of House area as Greeters, Ticket Takers or Ushers; in retail as Boutique or Concession assistants and as Event assistants. We also offer opportunities to volunteer year round in the office and at community events. Volunteering is a great opportunity to further develop, or learn new skills!
The Bard on the Beach volunteer program is committed to promoting an accessible, safe, inclusive and diverse environment, in which people are brought together in their love of volunteering, Shakespeare and the arts. We respect, value and celebrate the diverse experiences of each person and actively encourage everyone to consider joining our team.
The Bard on the Beach Volunteer program is generously sponsored by Peoples Trust.
If you’re interested in volunteering for the 2019 season, please sign up to receive the Bard E-Newsletter or check back in March for more information.
BARD VOLUNTEER REQUIREMENTS
- Available between mid-May and mid-September
- Must be 16 years or older
- You must be able to work a minimum of 25 hours but we hope that volunteers will commit to the equivalent of one shift per week throughout the season.
- A basic level of English (knowledge of other languages is an asset!)
- You must be able to navigate the site safely
- You must attend the following:
- 1 hour information meeting
- One-on-one interview with a volunteer from our recruitment team
- Site orientation and training sessions
- For every 25 hours completed, volunteers will receive a promo code for 2 tickets to the BMO Mainstage.
- Access to discounted ticket pricing for select performances.
- Volunteers are invited to attend special behind-the-scenes tours, Bard Explored Series, dress rehearsals and more!
- Access to discounts at the Bard Concession and Boutique.
- Invitation to the annual Volunteer Recognition Dinner.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Most festivals require a volunteer commitment over a very short period of time. Bard on the Beach is a theatre company that runs in an outdoor, festival atmosphere for four months. We have 7 – 8 shows per week that require over 30 volunteers per show. While we only ask volunteers to commit to a minimum of 25 hours, it is our hope that they will be available for all four months to fill our many shifts.
Bard on the Beach Volunteers are asked to make a significant commitment and are an integral part of our hospitality team. We want our volunteers to have the best experience possible. By using a professional recruitment campaign, we are able to get to know our potential volunteers and make sure they understand the level of commitment we require.
We know that people are going to take holidays during the summer so we offer flexible scheduling options. Volunteers can schedule their shifts around their holiday plans and those who are signed up for a weekly shift can pick up extra shifts to make up for any shifts they will miss.
The volunteer dress code is casual, but neat and professional. We are an outdoor venue, and weather and terrain should be taken into consideration when deciding what to wear to a shift. Volunteers should be dressed according to the following guidelines:
Preference for Khaki or black pants, capris or shorts of an appropriate length
Denim is also acceptable
Bard t-shirt or black or white top (no non-Bard logos)
Comfortable, low-heeled shoes
All volunteers receive a special edition Bard on the Beach Volunteer t-shirt at training and are provided with an apron or a vest to wear during their shift.
* Volunteers can wear any item of clothing we sell in our boutique during their shift
We are happy to support the student work experience programs around the city. We provide a record of your hours or a reference letter on written request. Please fill out the application form and indicate that you are a work experience student.