Employment Posting: Site Crew
Bard on the Beach Shakespeare Festival, Vancouver, BC
Bard on the Beach is Western Canada’s largest professional Shakespeare festival, with a focus on providing accessible, inclusive, and vibrant theatrical works to the public. The Festival presents Shakespeare plays, related dramas and special events from June to September in two modern theatre tents, in the magnificent waterfront setting of Sen̓ákw/Vanier Park. Bard Education also offers online content and programs throughout the year. Full details here.
POSITION SUMMARY – SITE CREW
Reporting to the Crew Chief and under the direction of the Site Project Manager, the Site Crew works with the Site Team to construct all structures and pathways at Bard on the Beach Shakespeare Festival. Practical experience and aptitude in operating power tools is an asset. You’ll be part of a welcoming and collaborative staff team that is deeply committed to upholding and practicing Bard’s Company Commitments. This position requires a positive and professional attitude while working with their respective team and collaborating with other departments at Bard on the Beach Shakespeare Festival.
- Install & strike of all Bard site elements, including:
- Tents and shelter structures
- All floors, walls and doors
- The ‘Main gate’ entrance façade
- Furniture, Fixtures and Equipment for the greenrooms, dressing rooms, administration offices and concession facilities
- The BMO Mainstage and Howard Family Stage grandstand seating systems
- Construction of new site elements or furnishings
- Festival plumbing and electrical installation (temporary)
- To carry out the duties assigned by Crew Chiefs in a safe and efficient manner.
- To ask questions as necessary to ensure thorough understanding of the duties assigned
- To report any perceived hazards or unsafe working conditions, including damaged or defective tools
- To report any emerging issues to their Crew Chief as deemed appropriate.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Able to take instruction and ask for clarification as needed
- Basic carpentry, electrical and tenting/rigging skills or willingness to learn
- Ability to work outside in all weather conditions including seasonally hot or cold temperatures and in climate weather.
- Able to lift and carry object weighing up to 50 pounds
- Able to perform physical labor requiring continual and repetitive use of large motor skills to stand, walk, sit, bend, stoop, crawl, crouch, shovel, push, pull, twist, turn, stretch, reach, and continual and repetitive use of fine motor skills and manual dexterity.
- Training or certifications in the following are assets:
- Aerial work platforms (Z-boom lift)
- Counterbalance forklifts
- Telehandlers (Rough-terrain forklift)
- Occupational First Aid
Please be prepared to provide copies of safety, technical, and/or educational certificates and/or degree(s) listed on your Resume.
HEALTH AND SAFETY
Bard’s Health and Safety policies require the wearing of masks in shared spaces, and that all employees maintain full vaccination against COVID-19
Hours are from 8:00am to 5:00pm. 1-hour lunch break. Two 15-minute breaks. 5 days a week.
The position is paid at an hourly rate based on labour standards for regular and overtime hours. The preferred start date for the position is Monday, March 21, 2022, ending late-April, with the possibility of extension to late-May.
$20.93-22.58 per hour is the starting wage range.
Rate is negotiable for appropriate training and experience.
Please email your resume and a cover letter below together in one PDF named “[First & Last Name] Site Crew,” summarizing your qualifications and experience.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and accepted up to March 13th, 2022. Please note that availability for the full term of the setup is preferred, but not essential for consideration.
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. All applications are considered confidential.
Bard on the Beach is committed to promoting an accessible, safe, inclusive, and diverse environment. We respect, value, and celebrate the diverse experiences of each person and actively encourage everyone to consider joining our team. If you have questions about accessibility at Bard, please reach out to email@example.com or call 604-737-0625 ext. 235.