Bard on the Beach is looking for new board members
Do you want to make a meaningful contribution to a Vancouver performing arts organization? Bard on the Beach is looking for new members to join its Board of Directors, starting in Spring 2024.
We’re looking for people to join our board and help advance our mission by providing objective oversight, thoughtful guidance, constructive challenge, and a diversity of perspectives.
Bard on the Beach is Western Canada’s largest not-for-profit, professional Shakespeare Festival. Presented in Vancouver’s Sen̓ákw/Vanier Park against a spectacular backdrop of mountains, sea and sky, the Festival offers Shakespeare plays, related dramas and special events in two modern performance tents from June through September, with an average attendance of 100,000. The Festival is known for its signature blend of high-quality artistic programming and a welcoming, informal experience for local residents and visitors from around the world. Bard Education offers year-round opportunities to play and explore Shakespeare, through programs for youth, emerging theatre artists, and our general community.
We are seeking individuals who have a passion for the arts and theatre, a love of the Bard on the Beach festival, and who are committed to moving Bard forward and strengthening our relevancy, resiliency, and vision. You might be a seasoned board director with deep governance experience. Or you might be new to board work and ready to learn and contribute your own passion and expertise. You’re a team player and collaborator who is energized by constrictive dialogue and discussion. You’re also a critical thinker and clear communicator.
We would love to speak with you if you are:
- committed to the importance and power of theatre and the arts in our community
- committed to the recovery of the arts sector after COVID-19
- committed to equity, diversity and inclusion, and passionate about ensuring a diversity of ideas and thinking around the board table
- interested in contributing to discussions on resource development, infrastructure, finance,
- governance, and art
- interested in challenging the status quo, curious beyond your expertise and experience
- able to respect and respond to many different perspectives
- sensitive to conflicts of interest
- able to dedicate time and effort to fully participating in meetings and events
- able to bring fundraising, government relations, or not-for-profit experience to our discussions.
Bard on the Beach is committed to promoting an accessible, safe, inclusive and diverse environment.
We respect, value and celebrate the unique experiences of all persons and actively encourage anyone who would like to contribute to our organization to consider joining us.
If you have previously applied to be part of the Bard Board of Directors, we welcome you to apply again and look forward to receiving your expression of interest.
Our vision, values, and mission
Vision: Bard on the Beach opens hearts, expands thinking, and builds community through the power of storytelling.
Values: Bard values excellence and innovation, a culture of inclusivity, and the search for joy in all its work and play.
Mission: Inspired by Shakespeare and our rich cultural heritage, we create magical theatre experiences and transformative learning opportunities.
You can read more about our commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion here.
What it’s like on the board
The current Bard Board is a group of 16 people with a wide range of skills, backgrounds and experiences, coming from the business, media, cultural, legal, community services, and not-for-profit sectors.
The role of the Bard Board of Directors is to:
- provide foresight, oversight and insight to the organization
- approve Bard’s annual budget and longer-term financial forecasts
- assess and help to address significant risk issues that may impact Bard’s work, finances, stakeholders, relationships or reputation
- approve, monitor, and evaluate Bard on the Beach programs and services
- select, support, and evaluate the performance of the executive leadership
- develop and approve Bard’s strategic plan
- facilitate and build relationships that are key to furthering Bard’s vision, mission and key strategies
- be ambassadors for Bard and enhance its public standing
- ensure legal and ethical integrity
The Bard Board of Directors meets around 6 times a year, sometimes virtually and sometimes in person. Board directors are expected to prepare for and attend meetings, and to join at least one of the board’s committees or working groups. We will work with you to make sure that you can focus on those areas in which you have interest and expertise; and to make sure you have the training and resources you need to contribute.
How to Apply
Please upload your CV and/or a short summary of your experience, along with an expression of interest describing why you would like to serve as a Board or Committee member at Bard to the form below.
The deadline for expressions of interest is Thursday, November 30 at 5pm.
Interviews will be held virtually in December 2023 and January 2024.
If you are unable to submit your application online, or if you have any access requirements, please contact us at 604-737-0625 ext. 2230 or email email@example.com and alternative arrangements will be made.
The application period for submitting a Submission of Interest to become a member of the Bard Board of Directors is now closed for submissions, thank you for your interest.