Bard on the Beach Shakespeare Festival, Vancouver, BC
Bard on the Beach is Western Canada’s largest professional Shakespeare Festival and offers Shakespeare plays, related dramas and special events from June to September, in two modern theatre tents in a magnificent setting on the waterfront in Vanier Park. The Festival also offers year-round educational programming at the BMO Theatre Centre in Olympic Village, and throughout the Lower Mainland.
POSITION SUMMARY – SITE CREW
Reporting to the Crew Chief and under the direction of the Site Manager, the Site Crew works with the Site Team to construct all structures and pathways at Bard on the Beach Shakespeare Festival. Practical experience and aptitude in operating power tools is an asset. This position requires a positive and professional attitude while working with their respective team and collaborating with other departments at Bard on the Beach Shakespeare Festival.
- To carry out the duties assigned by Crew Chiefs in a safe and efficient manner
- To ask questions as necessary to ensure thorough understanding of the duties assigned
- To report any hazards or unsafe working conditions, including damaged or defective tools
- To report any emerging issues to their Crew Chief as deemed appropriate
Install & strike of all Bard site elements, including:
- Tents and shelter structures
- All floors, walls and doors
- The ‘Maingate’ entrance façade
- Furniture, Fixtures and Equipment for the greenrooms, dressing rooms, administration offices and concession facilities
- The BMO Mainstage and Howard Family Stage grandstand seating systems
- Construction of new site elements or furnishings
- Festival plumbing and electrical installation (temporary)
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Able to take instruction and ask for clarification as needed.
- Basic carpentry, electrical and tenting/rigging skills or willingness to learn.
- Ability to work outside in all weather conditions including seasonally hot or cold temperatures and inclement weather.
- Able to lift and carry objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to perform physical labor requiring continual and repetitive use of large motor skills to stand, walk, sit, bend, stoop, crawl, crouch, shovel, push, pull, twist, turn, stretch, reach, and continual and repetitive use of fine motor skills and manual dexterity.
Training or certifications in the following are assets:
- Aerial work platforms (Z-boom lift)
- Counterbalance forklifts
- Telehandlers (Rough-terrain forklift)
Please be prepared to provide copies of safety, technical, and/or educational certificates and/or degree(s) listed on your Resume.
Hours are from 8:00am to 5:00pm. 1-hour lunch break. Two 15-minute breaks. 5 days a week.
The position is paid at an hourly rate based on labour standards for regular and overtime hours. The preferred start date for the position is Monday, March 23, 2020 to mid-June returning for Strike Monday, September 28, 2020 to approximately November 6, 2020.
$19.96-22.05 per hour based on experience and training.
Please email your resume and a cover letter together in one PDF named “[First & Last Name] Site Crew” summarizing your qualifications and experience to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and accepted up to May 1st, 2020.
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. All applications are considered confidential.
Bard on the Beach is committed to promoting an accessible, safe, inclusive and diverse environment. We respect, value and celebrate the diverse experiences of each person and actively encourage everyone to consider joining our team.