Director of Development
Bard on the Beach Shakespeare Festival, Vancouver, BC
Bard on the Beach is Western Canada’s largest professional Shakespeare Festival. Its annual budget is $8 million, and it employs a year-round team of professional artists and administrators. The Festival offers Shakespeare plays, related dramas and special events from June to September, in two modern theatre tents in a magnificent setting on the waterfront in Vanier Park. The Festival also offers year-round educational programming at the BMO Theatre Centre in Olympic Village, and throughout the Lower Mainland.
The Director of Development creates and executes the Society’s development plans and strategies. The successful candidate will have a measurable track record of successful fundraising and a willingness to work in a fast-paced, creative and collaborative work environment. The position reports to the Executive Director, and works closely with the Artistic Director, entire senior management team and the Board of Directors. The position oversees the Development Department which includes the two full time positions of Individual and Events Officer and Sponsorship and Events Officer, along with seasonal support positions.
Areas of Responsibility and Oversight
- Design and implementation of a comprehensive development plan that includes individual, corporate, foundation and public sector programs that are aligned with the organization’s strategic vision and goals
- Management of all strategies and activities for donor cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship
- Execution of Major Gifts and Foundation campaigns, and grant proposals
- Oversight of Individual Giving and Corporate Campaigns
- Preparation and maintenance of annual department budget and forecasts as well as tracking and evaluation of the effectiveness of fundraising campaigns and activities
- Coordination with financial staff regarding accounting procedures for donations
- Preparation and presentation of reports to Resource Development Committee
- Coordination of special campaigns
- Participates in the overall management of Bard on the Beach as part of the Senior Management Team
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree and 3-5+ years experience in fundraising at a senior management level preferably in an arts organization
- Proven track record of accomplishments in all aspects of fundraising including individual, corporate, planned giving, major gifts, and foundation campaigns and experience in grant writing
- Outstanding management and leadership qualities, and ability to mentor, inspire and motivate staff and leadership volunteers
- High energy, positive attitude, flexibility, and attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills both verbal and written
- Strong ability to think and plan strategically
- Financial acumen to prepare, manage and analyse budgets and donation reports
- Strong understanding of CRA regulations and donor program implications
- Knowledge of Spektrix or comparable CRM software
- Flexibility and willingness to work evenings/weekends as needed
- Shares our passion for the theatre and working in a creative environment
The salary will be based on the successful candidate’s qualifications and experience and will include a comprehensive employee benefits package.
The starting salary range for this position is $70,000 and will increase based on the successful candidate’s skills and experience.
Please upload your resume and a cover letter, with salary expectation, together in one PDF below. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and accepted up to Tuesday, October 15, 2019.
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. All applications are considered confidential.
Bard on the Beach is committed to promoting an accessible, safe, inclusive and diverse environment. We respect, value and celebrate the diverse experiences of each person and actively encourage everyone to consider joining our team.