EMPLOYMENT POSTING POSITION: Associate Director of Development
Bard on the Beach Shakespeare Festival
Bard on the Beach is Western Canada’s largest professional Shakespeare festival, with a focus on providing accessible, inclusive, and vibrant theatrical works to the public. The Festival presents Shakespeare plays, related dramas and special events from June to September in two modern theatre tents, in the magnificent waterfront setting of Sen̓ákw/Vanier Park. Bard Education also offers programs throughout the year. Full details here.
Bard on the Beach is seeking an experienced and growth-oriented individual to direct the overall strategy for all government, corporate and foundation partnerships, including maintaining and growing the annual portfolio and ensuring excellent partner stewardship. The Associate Director of Development will also help lead the strategic direction and initiatives of the Development Department and will support the overall management of the Development team. Reporting to the Director of Development, this individual will also collaborate with departments across the organization and will be part of a welcoming and collaborative staff team that is deeply committed to upholding and practicing Bard’s Company Commitments.
- Relationship management of corporate sponsors and foundation grants from acquisition through to event management, reporting and renewals. Maintaining an excellent standard of customer service ensuring all interactions with sponsors, supporters, and prospects are always exceptional.
- Collaborate with colleagues to identify opportunities to grow organizational support with sponsorships and funding as well as to creatively craft stellar experiences with a one-of-a-kind organization and cultural leader.
- Work collaboratively with departments across the organization to acquire and update agreements with sponsors that continue to fulfill each department’s needs.
- Actively research and search for prospective sponsors and grants, to diversify and achieve departmental financial goals. Prepare briefing notes for sponsor and prospect calls/meetings.
- Work collaboratively with the Director of Development and Finance department to oversee the financial operations of the corporate and foundations relations profile, including budget development, forecasting, month end reporting, invoicing and financial follow up.
- Manage and oversee collaborative organization and execution of corporate events during the festival season to ensure exceptional experiences for all corporate guests. This may require availability in the evenings and weekends.
- Work closely with the Director of Development in researching and writing grant and foundation applications. Completing reports to granting agencies, corporate sponsors, and foundations.
- Directly supervise the Development Communications Coordinator and support the Director of Development to manage the day-to-day operations of the Development department ensuring all deliverables are managed effectively and strategic goals are achieved.
- Work as part of the Development team and with other departments to provide feedback, and constructive analysis of existing systems to further deepen the entire Bard experience.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Post-secondary diploma or degree in a related field and/or a minimum of 5 years’ experience in a development role.
- Experience with sponsorship fundraising and marketing partnerships.
The successful candidate must have a working knowledge of cultivation, solicitation and stewardship strategies and techniques.
- Strong writing and communication skills and experience with contract, proposal, grant and foundation writing.
- Experience working in an arts organization, ideally in a performing arts organization.
- Demonstrated experience in a managerial or supervisory role.
- Exceptional attention to details, deadlines and timelines, with the ability to multitask in a dynamic environment.
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision, and as part of a team.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, esp. Teams, Word and Excel.
- Familiarity with relational databases is a plus.
Full time, permanent position, 37.5hrs/week. The position allows for a hybrid (remote and in-person) work schedule, to be negotiated with the Director of Development in accordance with Bard’s policies.
The annual salary starts at $72,500 and is negotiable based on the successful candidate’s skills and experience.
Extended health and dental benefits.
Please upload your resume and a cover letter together in one PDF named “[First & Last Name] Associate Director of Development,” summarizing your qualifications and experience to the form below.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Post will remain active until filled.
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Bard on the Beach is committed to promoting an accessible, safe, inclusive and diverse environment. We respect, value and celebrate the diverse experiences of each person and actively encourage everyone to consider joining our team. If you have questions or need support or assistance in submitting your application, please reach out to Stacey Menzies at email@example.com or call 604-737-0625 ext. 2235.
Submit your application here: