2017 Season Essential Booking Information
Frequently Asked Questions
- We would love to come to Bard but can’t make any of the dates. Can’t you put on more student group performances?
We would love to perform more for students, but as an outdoor summer festival we are extremely limited in what we can offer to schools in June and September.
- We can’t make the matinee or evening performances. Why can’t the performances be earlier in the day?
Our artists are members of Canadian Actors’ Equity Association, and we operate under the guidelines of this labour association. In order to provide a reasonable length of day and a reasonable time of rest between working days, we are unable to start our performances any earlier than 1pm.
- Why are there no student group matinees of The Merchant of Venice in June?
The Merchant of Venice will be staged on the Howard Family Stage in the Douglas Campbell Theatre, which does not open until July.
- Can I still book throughout the summer?
Please fill out a booking request online, or call us at 604-737-0625. If there are tickets available for the performance you would like, we will reserve them at that time. If not, we will take your details, put you on a waiting list, and let you know if spaces become available.
- If we don’t get tickets now, is there still an opportunity to see a performance later?
Many schools who reserve tickets subsequently change their plans, so we keep schools on a waiting list and contact them if spaces become available. Student group tickets may be available for other performances, so it’s worth checking with us. Students can of course attend at any other time throughout the season at the Global BC Youth Rate of $30 per ticket. (Note: Infants and children under 6 years of age are not permitted to attend performances, and patrons under 14 must be accompanied by an adult).
Payment and Ticketing
- We cannot make the full payment in August as school is not in session at that time. Can we pay later or on the day of the performance?
We have been flexible with school payments in the past and have unfortunately had groups either not show up and/or not make their payment. This has resulted in significant, unrecoverable lost revenue for Bard, which is a not-for-profit theatre company. It has also prevented other school groups from being able to come. As a result, our payment deadlines are firm and any tickets not paid for by the deadline will be released. Please make plans well in advance.
- How can I make payments?
We prefer payment to be made by credit card over the phone at 604-737-0625; we accept Visa and MasterCard. Cheques mailed to Bard on the Beach from the school may also be accepted, however please keep in mind postage times when submitting cheques as we are unable to extend payment deadlines or hold reservations for delayed cheques.
- What if some of our students cannot go? Can we get a refund?
All payments are non-refundable so please check your numbers carefully before making payment. Final payments for June performances are due Friday, May 12, and final payments for September performances are due Monday, August 28, allowing time to make adjustments if needed.
- Can I make adjustments to my order after it has been booked?
Yes. You may reduce numbers up until the final payment deadline, and you may increase numbers up to the performance date, subject to availability. However please keep in mind we are unable to issue refunds on payments received. To make adjustments, call 604-737-0625. Please be aware that additional tickets requested after the initial booking, if available, may not be booked in the same area of the theatre.
- If we cannot make our original performance, can we change to a different one?
As there are a limited number of performances for schools it may not be possible to move groups into different performance times. If we have the capacity to do so, you may be able to make a one-time change. Call 604-737-0625 to inquire.
- Other theatre companies do not charge teachers and/or chaperones for their tickets. Why does Bard?
The ticket price for our student matinees is extremely low: more than 50% off a regular-priced A-Zone ticket. We have decided it is better to charge less for everyone in the group, rather than charge more for students and issue free tickets.
- Why can we not bring more than 100 students to the June matinee performances?
As it is only possible to schedule a limited number of student matinees in June, and due to the high demand for these performances, we limit groups to a maximum of 100 to allow access to as many schools as possible.
- Will you mail the tickets to us?
We do not mail tickets to student groups. Your tickets will be available for pick up at the box office beginning two hours before show time. Please pick them up no later than 30 minutes prior to show time, as it takes time to organize your group and distribute the tickets to your students.
- Will our group be sitting all together?
We generally seat groups together, however it may sometimes be necessary to split groups into different sections. As it is reserved seating, we ask that you sit in the specific seats allocated to you and that teachers sit among the students.
- Should I be concerned about violent or mature content in any of the plays?
While our student matinee offerings this season are not particularly violent, it is worth noting that almost all of Shakespeare’s plays contain some violence and sexual innuendo. If you have specific questions or concerns about the suitability of the plays for your students, please feel free to contact our Director of Education, Mary Hartman, at email@example.com.
Planning your Visit
- How do we get to Bard on the Beach?
All Bard on the Beach performances take place under the tents in Vanier Park, in Vancouver. Please visit our Direction & Parking page for more information.
- Is the site wheelchair accessible?
Yes! Please remember to let us know upon booking if anyone in your group has any special requirements, so that we can reserve seats accordingly.
- Can we bring our own food and beverages? Is there anything offered on site?
Yes, you may bring your own, and we also sell food and beverages on site. Find out our full list of on-site services. We encourage you to enjoy refreshments during the performance; however, we do ask that you use your discretion, so as not to make noise or create a distraction. We also ask that you take out your trash at the end of the performance and dispose of it in our recycling and trash bins around the theatre and Village.
- Our school is too far away to attend Bard. Will you be touring at all?
- Can we book a Bard in the Classroom workshop to coincide with our visit?
Yes! We’d be delighted to come to your school in the Lower Mainland. If you are travelling from farther away, it may be possible for us to organize a workshop in Vancouver at the BMO Theatre Centre, where we design and rehearse our productions. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more.
Student Group Performances
New in 2017: While we’ve selected the dates for our September student matinee performances, we’ll decide what play will be performed on each September date below in response to demand. We will work to meet as many requests for student group tickets as our schedule will allow, and confirm the performance schedule by March.
Thursday, June 1, 7:30pm: Much Ado About Nothing
Friday, June 2, 1pm: Much Ado About Nothing
Thursday, June 8, 7:30pm: The Winter’s Tale
Friday, June 9, 1pm: The Winter’s Tale
Saturday, June 10, 7:30pm: Much Ado About Nothing
September – performance schedule to be confirmed
Friday, September 8, 1pm: The Merchant of Venice
Tuesday, September 12, 1pm: The Two Gentlemen of Verona
Wednesday, September 13, 1pm: Much Ado About Nothing
Wednesday, September 13, 1pm: The Merchant of Venice
Thursday, September 14, 1pm: Much Ado About Nothing
Thursday, September 14, 1pm: The Merchant of Venice
Wednesday, September 20, 1pm: Much Ado About Nothing
Thursday, September 21, 1pm: Much Ado About Nothing
Friday, September 22, 1pm: The Winter’s Tale
Please complete and submit the online booking form electronically. If you have additional notes to provide that cannot be made on the web form, please email email@example.com.
- Payment dates for student group bookings:
April 17: 25% non-refundable deposit due.
May 12: Final payment date for all June performances.
August 28: Final payment date for all September performances.
- Bookings made after May 12: a 25% non-refundable deposit is due upon receipt of invoice, and final payment is due two weeks prior to the performance date.
- While we understand that it can be challenging to send in payment by August 28 for September performances, please note that the final payment due date is fixed so please make plans accordingly.
- We are unable to offer refunds on payments received.
- It is not possible for the box office to accept payment from individual students. Payment must be for the entire group.
- Seating assignment is at the discretion of Bard on the Beach. If anyone in your group has special needs or seating requirements, please let us know well in advance.
- Tickets will be available for pick up two hours prior to the start of the performance. We do not send student group tickets by mail. Please notify the box office at 604-739-0559 if you wish to pick up tickets earlier.
- Infants and children under 6 years of age are not permitted to attend performances.
- We require 1 chaperone per 20 students. Remember to include chaperones in your count as they will need a purchased ticket.
- As there are very few matinees in June, there is a limit of 100 tickets per school for each of these performances. There are no ticket limits for September student matinee performances.
- Student Group pricing is available for students and their required chaperones only.