For twenty five years, our Young Shakespeareans workshops have inspired, nurtured, and encouraged the dreams of children and teens from ages eight to eighteen. Professional actors from our company help participants bring Shakespeare’s words to life through coaching in voice, movement and dialogue, and with activities designed to boost confidence and foster collaborative relationships. We want our Young Shakespeareans to gain ease with the language, passion for the text and friendships that last long beyond the workshop.
During the summer, our camps and workshops take place on our two Festival stages under the tents in Vanier Park. Our participants get to experience a side of our Festival that many others don’t get to see—behind the scenes of the Bard Village.
Most of our camps and workshops are half-day sessions and run every day over the course of two weeks. During the sessions, participants will explore one of Shakespeare’s beloved plays – with a final showcase for family and friends!
Video & Photos
Summer Young Shakespeareans | Photos by Joe Biegel
Registration for Summer 2020 Camps & Workshops opens on February 12 at noon. Our Young Shakespeareans theatre camps and workshops fill up quickly! To secure your spot in your preferred session, follow the checklist below.
1. I have submitted the Participant Form.
2. I have created my patron account. Hint: do this in advance to save time during registration!
3. I have completed payment for the child/teen’s spot in the camp or workshop, or submitted my bursary application form.
If the camp/workshop appears sold out, please complete this form to be put on a waiting list. If a spot opens up, we will contact the person at the top of the waiting list with the exception of last-minute cancellations (within 72hrs of the first day of the camp/workshop). In that case, we will contact the full waiting list in attempt to fill the spot ASAP.
There is no fee for transfers (based on availability); please phone Katie Johnstone at 604.737.0625 ext. 262.
- Full refund, if cancelled via email by May 31. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 50% of the fees are refundable after May 31, until 2 weeks prior to the start of your session.
- No refund within 2 weeks of the start of your session.
JUNIOR THEATRE CAMPS: ages 8-13
Participant must have completed grade 3 or have turned 8 before the start of the camp.
TEEN WORKSHOPS: ages 13-18
Participant must have completed grade 7 or have turned 13 before the start of the workshop.
For descriptions of the plays, click here.
|Monday, July 6 – Friday, July 17|
|JUNIOR||9am-12:30pm||A Midsummer Night’s Dream||$495||REGISTRATION OPENS SOON|
|TEEN||1:30pm-5pm||Julius Caesar||$495||REGISTRATION OPENS SOON|
|Monday, July 20 – Friday, July 31|
|JUNIOR||9am-12:30pm||Hamlet||$495||REGISTRATION OPENS SOON|
|TEEN||9am – 12:30pm||Macbeth||$495||REGISTRATION OPENS SOON|
|JUNIOR||1:30pm-5pm||Twelfth Night||$495||REGISTRATION OPENS SOON|
|TEEN||1:30pm-5pm||Bard on Film||$495||REGISTRATION OPENS SOON|
|Monday, August 10 – Friday, August 21|
|JUNIOR||9am-12:30pm||Macbeth||$495||REGISTRATION OPENS SOON|
|TEEN||9am-12:30pm||Richard III||$495||REGISTRATION OPENS SOON|
|JUNIOR||1:30pm-5pm||A Midsummer Night’s Dream||$495||REGISTRATION OPENS SOON|
|TEEN||1:30pm-5pm||Speak the Speech||$495||REGISTRATION OPENS SOON|
|Monday, August 24 – Friday, September 4|
|JUNIOR||9am-12:30pm||The Tempest||$495||REGISTRATION OPENS SOON|
|TEEN||9am-12:30pm||A Midsummer Night’s Dream||$495||REGISTRATION OPENS SOON|
|JUNIOR||1:30pm-5pm||Julius Caesar||$495||REGISTRATION OPENS SOON|
|TEEN||1:30pm-5pm||Hamlet||$495||REGISTRATION OPENS SOON|
SAVINGS & PERKS
- Each Young Shakespearean receives 2 complimentary tickets to a performance of A Midsummer Night’s Dream during our 2020 Festival, PLUS a free Young Shakespeareans t-shirt!
- Enjoy a 25% discount for any additional camps/workshops purchased this summer for the participant or for siblings.
- Full Day Options: We offer 25% off the afternoon camp and FREE lunchtime supervision for Junior theatre camps participants.
- Before & After Care provided for Junior theatre camps at a nominal charge.
Young Shakespeareans Bursary Information
Established in 2009 by the Bard Volunteers, the fund helps individuals, families, schools and organizations overcome financial barriers to participation in our programs.