Call for Dog Auditions
Your dog could play the role of Crab in The Two Gentlemen of Verona
Thank you for your interest in our Dog Auditions. The deadline to apply has now passed.
Audition date: Friday, March 31
Deadline to apply: Wednesday, March 15
Interested individuals should provide the following:
- A completed application form with full contact information
- A recent photograph of your dog
- (preferred) A link to a video of the dog (60 seconds maximum) on YouTube or other online video platform (ex. Vimeo)
SUBMISSION PROCESS AND DEADLINE
Submissions must be received by Wednesday, March 15 at 4pm.
Dogs and their owners selected for an audition will be contacted shortly after the applications deadline, with an audition time and full day-of details. All auditions will take place at the BMO Theatre Centre on Friday, March 31. At the audition, dogs and their owners will be expected to:
- Demonstrate the personality and behaviour of the dog, through a walk-about exercise and showing how the dog reacts to basic commands.
- Confirm that they can meet all requirements for being cast in the production (NOTE: there are a series of mandatory rehearsal and performance dates between May 8 and September 19, 2017).
- Agree to allow the dog (and the owner as requested) to take part in publicity activities, including any media coverage at the auditions and during the run of the production at the 2017 Bard on the Beach Festival.
REQUIREMENTS FOR CASTING
- Dog must have a placid disposition, remain calm and well-behaved in situations where there are strangers, and not be distracted by an audience or unexpected noises (ex. loud applause from a theatre audience).
- Dog must be able to respond reliably to the commands “Sit”, “Down” and “Stay”.
- Dog must demonstrate it will be attentive and friendly to its onstage (actor) companion.
- Dog and owner must be able to attend selected rehearsals for The Two Gentlemen of Verona at the BMO Theatre Centre, 162 West 1st Avenue, between May 8, 2017 and late June, then several additional rehearsals at the Bard on the Beach Festival site in Vanier Park, Kits Point, followed by four performances a week at the Park through to a final/closing performance of the production on Sunday, September 19, 2017.
- Bard on the Beach offers a lively, entertaining festival environment – owner and dog should look forward to being part of a unique and exciting environment, where they will be welcomed and fussed over!
A fee (honorarium) will be paid for the dog’s services, covering the entire rehearsal and production period.
Bard on the Beach receives a large number of submissions for each casting call, and as such is unable to offer audition times to all who apply. We welcome your interest and appreciate your understanding.